Friday, October 6, 2017

October 5, 2017

This week was pretty crazy, there's just always something to do. For example we're writing early because we have to take a missionary to the airport in like an hour or  two.  But it's nice to be busy and not bored haha. We had the baptism of Fabian this week and it was really cool. A ton of people got to the service to support him. The family was really excited after to work now to get sealed together. I put some pictures of them down here. Fabian was smiling the entire time, he was so happy. I also think he just liked the attention haha. But it was a really special service. 

The Goulds are going home, they are the senior couple here. I've been in the office with them for 7 months so I'm going to be pretty sad when they get out of here. Yesterday we had a good-bye dinner with President and Hermana Diaz (very tasty by the way) and they're heading off tomorrow

I think my favorite talk might have been from President Nelson or President Eyring. I liked how they reiterated the invitation of President Monson and the importance of reading the Book of Mormon every day. The promise from President Nelson was pretty powerful: "My dear brothers and sisters, I promise that as you prayerfully study the Book of Mormon every day, you will make better decisions—every day. I promise that as you ponder what you study, the windows of heaven will open, and you will receive answers to your own questions and direction for your own life. I promise that as you daily immerse yourself in the Book of Mormon, you can be immunized against the evils of the day" I've really been trying to make sure I dedicate a portion of my study to the Book of Mormon and focus on what it means for me and how I can apply those teachings in my life. It's been amazing to see the day to day applications that I can take out from that Book. 

I was reading a BYU devotional this week on "The thoughts of our Hearts: Why we do the things that we do" and it was very interesting. He talked about how there are basically two ends of the spectrum of why we do things. On one end is the Love of the World. On the other Love of God. He then asked that we think about why we went to Church last Sunday. Sincerely think about it and the reason that you went to Church last Sunday. He offered some possible answers, my parents made me, to be sociable, habit, take the sacrament, learn in the classes. There are a lot of different answers and they can be scattered on that spectrum. Knowing the reason of why we do what we do we can see if we our satisfied by our motives or if we would like to change for better, purer motives. Just as important as what we do is why we do it (I'm pretty sure that is from a Church Leader). So thinking a little bit more about "Why am I going to say this prayer?" "Why am I going to study the Book of Mormon everyday?" "Why am I trying to be nicer to other people?" will help us get much more out of the small and simple things of the Gospel. 

Love you a lot!!!
Elder Cheney
 



 


No comments:

Post a Comment