Friday, September 1, 2017

August 31, 2017

As you can probably tell by the time I am writing this it was a long trip.It was really fun and we got a lot of stuff done, but I'll tell you about it after answering your email. 

I asked him about anything he wanted to share from the Book of Mormon for my seminary class.

One of my favorite quotes about the Book of Mormon is from President Joseph Fielding Smith: "No member of this Church can stand approved in the presence of God who has not seriously and carefully read the Book of Mormon" It just goes to show the importance of reading and truly studying the Book of Mormon. 

One of the most powerful experiences or testimonies I've had with the Book of Mormon is with our last convert, Victor. He started reading the Book of Mormon at the beginning when we invited him. His learning curve was so much faster than other people I taught. He would leave lessons with a couple questions or doubts and he would come back with his own answers that he had found after searching and prayers. Some answers he read and some were given to him through the Spirit. When we read the Book of Mormon with prayer and real intent it will answer our questions, we will feel the love of God, and we will be on the path to exaltation. In my own life it has given me a foundation in the Gospel and I have set a goal to read it every day and I think that is what has helped me most to get through tough times. Ponder and sincerely read the Book of Mormon. There are days when I am tired and it's hard to get through a chapter (I still have to read my chapter today) but I know God will bless me as I ponder in the stories and words that are in there. It has expanded my mind and given me a vision of what God has planned for me. I am grateful for the sacrifices of many people to make the Book of Mormon possible and I know that it is the word of God that is meant to guide us through these days. 

Tell your seminary students to share their testimonies with me too! I like to read them. Also I forgot but can you thank the primary kids for me? It was really cool to read their letters and they gave me a lot of ánimo! I love me some handwritten letters. 


So we left on Tuesday, me, Élder Smith (my companion), and Élder Gould (the housing guy). We went up to Coquimbo which is about 4 or 5 hours to the north. The goal was to buy 4 matresses with the frames, fix 3 windows, patch up about 4 walls, and drop off various things like rugs, blankets, and heaters. It was pretty intense and we were out until about 10:30 tuesday and wednesday night. It was fun too because it was the first time that I was in the North of the mission, so I've only heard stories of it for a year and a half. It was different from what I thought, I was thinking that it was going to be a barren wasteland but it was more like a resort. It is really nice up there. We got to go to a place called Vicuña that is about and hours drive from Coquimbo so we got to see all parts of the mission. I can't find my camera right now, but I'll send some pictures next week. We took our p-day today to move some more matresses and patch up a wall and then we drove back down too. We got back pretty late, but it was a good trip. It was nice to work on the houses and get out of the office a bit too. 

This week will be change week (Woooohhhhhoooooo!!!!), so I won't be writing until next Saturday, the 9th. Wow, August passed by quick. 

We're still not sure about the changes, we should find out tomorrow (companions and whatnot) but the assisstants said that there might be a couple of surprises so I'll keep you updated next week. 

I think might spiritual though will be the above mentioned about the Book of Mormon. Thanks for the email mom, it's nice to hear from you guys. I love you a lot!!
Elder Cheney

No comments:

Post a Comment