Monday, June 20, 2016

June 13 and 20

June 20
The Chileans are going to make a singer out of me it if kills me (and it probably will). We had a talent show and after all the members went the missionaries sang "Come thou fount of every blessing." There was  like 80 people and only 4 missionaries so I was a little intimidated, but we pulled through. 
Also we got some really good cake this week and that was the only picture I took this week, so I gotta start taking some more. 
Someone thought I was Brazilian, I don't know if that was an insult or...
This week the teaching drought ended!!!!!!!
First, we were on interchanges during a game of the American Cup. Chile was playing so no one wanted to listen to us. We decided to say a prayer and we prayed to find the person that wasn't watching the game. So we walked a little more, talked to some more people that didn't want anything and then finally we found Estefany. We were able to teach her and her mom and we left a Book of Mormon with the introduction for her to read. We went back two days later and she read until 1 Nephi 9 and remembered just about everything. It was super great and we're going to meet her "partner" to keep working with them!
Also, we taught Cherry (daughter) and Rosa (Mom). We taught in a family night and they had been with the missionaries before us, but we haven't had much of a chance to teach them. We were talking and Cherry said that she ahd wanted to get baptized from the first lesson the missionaries taught. It was so awesome and we invited them to get baptized the 10th of July. Were going to keep working with them too to help them get ready for their baptism. 
This week I want to share a scripture from 2 Nephi 2:24 that says, "But behold, all things have been done in the wisdom of him who knoweth all things." I love this scripture because we really just have to trust that everything has a purpose and God knows that purpose. In the end, all He wants is us to be happy and He knows how to make us happy. 
Hope you guys are happy and everything is well!
Love,
Elder Cheney


June 13
 So thanks a lot for this email! Also I gave your email and address to someone that has a daughter in Charlotte that is less active and wants to go to church but doesn't know where to go, if someone emails you, her name is like Yanina or something like that. 
There's not a whole lot of questions so I'm going to have to go off of what I got. 
We had a Zone meeting this week and one of our zone leaders bought a bunch of ties, in his words "I looked for the ugliest ties I could possibly find." So all the elders in our zone got new, ugly ties. I was pretty happy because it was free. 
Also this week Marta made some onion bread for us! It was really good and I'm going to try to get her to teach us how to make it. It is exactly what it sounds like, bread with onions. We ate it all that night haha. 
Sunday I gave a talk in Sacrament meeting. It went pretty good, there wasn't too many confused faces, so I guess everyone understood me. 
In Sunday school we were talking a little bit about the glory of the world and the glory of God. Someone in the class said "The glory of the world is in obtaining everything, cars, houses, jobs, money. The glory of God is in leaving everything and serving your fellowmen." I loved this because I know I'm the happiest when I'm serving someone else. This happiness is also something that is lasting, things get old and wear away but the service we can give to people and the relationships we can make with people are lasting. So remember to do your good turn daily!





No comments:

Post a Comment